Being a ‘good’ leader is not enough these days! Want to know how to be ‘great’?! Michelle Zivkovic, CEO of Merryck Australia, shares 4 top tips for what makes an outstanding leader.
Understanding what differentiates a great leader from a good leader will help companies make the right choices for the top jobs.
Today’s leaders must deliver at greater velocity, in more ambiguous contexts, than ever before. Being intentional and focusing on how to deliver success is contextual and needs to be intentional. It is not a list of competencies or a particular leadership model.
Michelle Zivkovic, CEO, Merryck ANZ shares research based on mentoring & interviews with 2,500 CEO & senior executive leaders, originally developed by our US Merryck colleagues. This research identifies four differentiators of great leaders and poses questions to identify the presence of such traits:
#1: THEY SIMPLIFY COMPLEXITY AND OPERATIONALISE IT
• Does your team clearly understand your compelling vision of success?
• Do they articulate the overarching strategy & their role in it the same way?
#2: THEY DRIVE AMBITION FOR THE ENTERPRISE
• How well does your team collaborate with other areas’ teams?
• How do they incentivise their people to work outside and across silos?
#3: THEY RUN – AND PLAY ON – REAL TEAMS
• Does your team have a clear reason for being that all embrace?
• How much time does your team spend on strategic vs. reactive issues?
#4: THEY BUILD LEADERS
• What number of leaders outside your own area have you groomed?
• Are you personally mentoring diverse future leaders?
• Are you winning new talent by:
o Creating diversity of thought in your hiring?
o Retaining diverse managers & combining them into impactful teams?
o Reducing voluntary turnover among high performers?
o Generating a reputation as a leader others want to work for?
Merryck comprises experienced CEOs, Chairs, Directors and senior business leaders who help CEOs and senior leaders and senior executive teams to accelerate the impact of their leadership on business performance. We do this by bringing real world experience to our mentoring and by customising each engagement to the specific leader and organisation, drawing on our best practices and aligning them with the client organisation’s strategy and specific objectives for the engagement. Our effectiveness is rooted in our ability to see each of our clients within their unique personal, business and market contexts. Merryck mentors are successful in getting under the skin of senior executives, releasing their potential and helping them deliver targeted results.
Click here learn more about Merryck.