Personal Branding is the new black.…
Well, at least that’s how it seems right now. To say it is a hot topic is an understatement, but it rightfully deserves the spotlight.
The term ‘Personal Branding’ has in fact been around for years but today more than ever it can be a or THE key contributor to your success. Like it or loathe it (and it’s easier to like it) we all have a personal brand, it’s how much you choose to focus on it and develop it that matters.
In a 24/7 world, where we feed multiple social and business platforms as part of our daily routine or ‘business as usual’ taking ownership over our personal brand is one of the most important things we can do whilst carving our path to success. It allows us to amplify our presence.
So, what is a Personal Brand?
It’s you but in a 3D amplified version. What I mean by this is, it’s a combination of how you portray yourself plus your skills, your experience, your tone, your mannerisms. It’s the presence you give off when these elements are packaged together and it’s the perception people have of you even if you’re not speaking. The spoken word is just one piece of the personal brand puzzle.
Now, I know what some of you might be thinking… gosh, it’s a lot to take in, so let’s break it down.
Here are my top tips for building a strong personal brand at work.
1. Understand your value. What do you personally bring to the table that adds value? not only to the organisation but to the people around you. Know it and deliver it.
2. Be consistent. Having a good routine mean’s people will feel they can rely on you. It also helps you create healthy workplace boundaries so you can perform at your best.
3. Open & honest communication. This will allow you to build rapport with people quickly. Your ability to engage others is a key factor in business and open & honest communication is vital to this and building a strong brand.
4. Be action orientated. Action builds confidence and generates momentum. Whilst performing actions your whole ‘3D’ amplified brand is on display. Similar to confidence, you can’t sit back and build a personal brand; you have to go out and show/prove yourself by doing.
5. Maintain integrity always. Your reputation is everything in business. If you tarnish it, through lying or not delivering on your commitments or promises it can be very hard to get it back. Rule 101 – Do what you say you’ll do.
So, what now?
Grab a pen and paper and follow these steps:
1. Give yourself a rating out of 5 for the above 5 categories with 5 meaning (excelling) and 1 meaning (needs urgent improvement)
2. Review the ratings and select the 2 categories that received the lowest rating
3. For these 2 categories – right down 1 action step for each that you could take THIS WEEK to make a positive improvement. Just 1 step is all we need to get started.
4. Do both of the action steps you’ve identified THIS WEEK
5. Repeat weekly.
Your personal brand (like you) will always evolve. As long as you remain happy within yourself and true to your values, your personal brand will always shine through. And if you’re not happy the positive thing is you have the power to change it.
Alison Shamir is a Career & Life Coach whose work has been featured on broadcast TV & leading digital platforms. Alison empowers her clients with the confidence, tools and methods they need to adopt a growth mindset, overcome self-doubt and achieve the success they truly want.
Alison will present at our upcoming Early Talent event on 28th April 2020. If you are interested or know anyone who will benefit from her expertise, please let Lydia Kurnia know.